(HealthDay News) — Pets typically are prized members of the family. But as with their human counterparts, they can also spread disease, the Nemours Foundation says.
The foundation suggests how to help reduce the transmission of disease from pets:
- Thoroughly wash your hands after feeding your pet, touching your pet or removing its waste.
- Don’t allow pets to eat from your plates or utensils.
- Don’t kiss your pet on the mouth.
- Make sure your pet’s space is clean, and don’t let children play in areas where there’s pet waste.
- Keep pets away from areas where food is prepared or handled.
- Don’t bathe your pet in the sink or bathtub.
- Never make a wild animal a pet.