Health Tip: Prepare for Travel With Diabetes
(HealthDay News) — Before you hit the road for the holidays, make sure your diabetes is under control and that you’re prepared for emergencies.
Here are suggestions from the American Diabetes Association:
- Before any long trip, visit your doctor and get a medical exam. If you need any vaccines, schedule them at least a month before you depart.
- Get a letter from your doctor listing your medications and what they are for. Obtain any needed prescriptions.
- If you’re traveling internationally, compile a list of doctors in the host nation who speak your language.
- Wear a medical ID bracelet that says you have diabetes.
- Pack a carry on with all of your diabetes supplies, including extras. Make sure your insulin is packed appropriately.
- Pack snacks to deal with possible instances of low blood sugar.
- Make adjustments to your medication schedule if you change time zones.
- Check your blood sugar frequently during the trip.